Monday, February 8, 2010

The Savanna










I went on a safari throughout the savanna today. During the safari I saw the most animals I have ever seen in one day. I heard many noises that you can hear on this link. The largest savannas in the world are found in Africa. The most well known savanna is the Serengeti, in Tanzania. Summers in the savanna last 6 to 8 months, and they are very wet and rainy. The savanna can get up to 130 centimeters of rain every year. This rain can come down in just a two or three week time period. The rain collects in ponds. These ponds provide water to animals during the winter seasons. Over 40% of the animals in the savanna are mammals. During the winter seasons the vegetation throughout the savanna becomes very dry and flammable. This causes current wild fires. Wildfires are one of the main reasons trees in the savanna are so scarce. After a wildfire grass grows back quickly, but on the other hand trees do not. This safari was fun, dangerous, and extremely exciting. I wish I could do this every day. I have plenty of photos to show my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment