Friday, February 5, 2010

The Sahara Desert

Today I visited one of the largest most beautiful natural deserts in northern Africa... The Sahara Desert!! What most people don't know is that its name actually comes from the Arabic word "desert." Some people may think that visiting a desert isn't very fun, but the wildlife here is amazing!! The snakes are a little scary I have to admit, but with my boots on I was safe. The Sahara alone has 95 species of reptiles. Mostly consisting of snakes, lizards, and tortoises. Some people say the Sahara is big but try 3,475,000 miles on for size.I could see it a million times,and it would still take my breath away. Today ten different states in Africa share the Sahara Desert. Those states are Morocco, Tunisia, Mali, Niger, Chad, Sudan, Libya, Egypt, and Mauritania. Since it is a desert it only gets about 100 to 200 millimeters of rain each year, that's only 4 to 8 inches!! There is little vegetation in the Sahara, but the little that is there can live without much water. The Sahara is rich in mineral resources. One thing in particular that I saw in the Sahara is desertification. Even though it is a desert the areas around it aren't. Areas around the Sahara are turning to desert as well. Desertification is getting worse,and the Sahara is slowly growing larger. The ten countries that share the Sahara desert should do something to keep the Sahara contained. The Sahara is so amazing, and I wish my family could be here to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment